HR vehicles include:
- Trucks and buses with a GVM more than eight tonnes, and three or more axles
- Any towed trailer must not weigh more than nine tonnes GVM
- Bendy buses. Even though these vehicles are articulated, they’re treated as rigid vehicles.
To apply for an HR licence, you must:
- Have held a class C licence, (except a learner licence) or equivalent for two years or more. Any time you’ve spent on a P1 licence counts, but you can’t practice to drive an HR vehicle, or upgrade to an HR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence
- Pass the HR knowledge test
- Pass an eyesight test
- Successfully complete HVCBA, or pass a Roads and Maritime driving test.